Thursday, October 9, 2008

Sisters Are From Heaven



Sisters Are From Heaven is the first children's picture book created by my sister and I. One day I was chatting with her on the phone and she told me that God gave her a message that we were intended to combine our talents and work together to produce something awesome. She said she had not quite figured it out but once she had she'd let me know. She asked me if I would be interested in such a venture and I responded with an enthusiastic 'YES'!


Truly I could not imagine anything better than collaborating with my own sister in whatever capacity. She's always been my number one fan and my best friend. A few weeks or months later she came back with the idea for the book. She had one particular photograph that sparked this idea in her. It was one I had taken of her girls one fall day when I came over to help her with the kids. Her youngest child had just been born and I wanted to come help out and give her some down time. I got the girls ready and took them out for one of my practice photo shoots. The fall foilage was beautiful and Lauren was just perfecting her walking skills. We ventured out to play and jump in the leaves. Oh what fun! We were making our way back towards the house and I got an idea for the girls to embrace so I could snap a shot. I always gave my sister copies of all the pictures I took of her kids, but this day it seemed like so much more to me. The girls had a new addition to their family and it was not just the two of them anymore. They had to make room for baby brother, but I wanted them to have something to remind them of the days when it was just two sisters relying on each other. See that's how it had always been for my sister and I. We had lots of cousins and later a baby brother, but we always remember when it was just she and I.


So back to the photo...my sister saw this photo and she said the idea came to life. She looked at it and the title of our book was born. She said it was something about the beautiful blue sky and her daughters in a loving embrace that made her say 'Sisters Are From Heaven'. After that she picked out more photos that I had taken and begin to put words to those photos. In the end, we came out with this lovely book that you see today. A true testiment of the bond we share as sisters and the love we have for each other and most importantly God. I am so happy to know that my neices share that same bond and my sister is instilling the love of God in them.

No comments: