Monday, November 23, 2009

A Reason to Give Thanks


Are you all packed up and ready to get on the road? If you're one of the few staying put and possibly receiving family and friends then, did you get the turkey yet? Me either. But I'll be out shopping for the whole meal once my kindergartener gets off the bus this morning.

And speaking of kids, it's been difficult to keep them from going head over heels for Christmas. So I've spent tons of time stressing to mine that Thanksgiving comes first. We cannnot prepare for a season of giving without first giving thanks. Finally, after all the festivities at school last week it seems that the idea is starting to stick. I was indeed thankful for all the help with reiterating what the holiday entails.

The whole concept of loving, sharing and acknowledging how much we have to be thankful for can be easily missed. Just look around! Black Friday ads and shopping promotions are everywhere. It's not that I don't love a good deal, it's just that there's more to Thanksgiving than the day after. To combate all the focus on spending the kids and I will be crafting cornucopias and learning about Native Americans. I've planned some fun games for counting our blessings and of course we'll be spending the day together cooking and having fun. Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. I can't think of anything better than being able to celebrate God's grace and mercy.

So this Thursday, once you've finished cooking and seated your guests or arrived at your destination with appetite in tow...proudly give thanks. From the big to the small. God richly blessed you with everything. Take a little time to reflect on his goodness!

No comments: