Sunday, December 27, 2009

Book Review: The Day I Met THE NUTS


"The Day I Met THE NUTS," is a story is about a young boy who discovers he is allergic to nuts while at a friend's birthday party. Being that birthday parties are top-notch events in a child's life, author Mary Rand Hess grabs her audience from page one. As an added treat, the illustrations in the book blend perfectly with the text, providing even more entertainment to the reader's delight.

I read the story to my son and daughters ages 3, 4 and 6. They enjoyed it so much that they asked me to read it twice! My little ones couldn't wait to find out how the boy would survive such a huge change in his life and still be all right. Of course they knew he would be all right because Mary, a mother of two young boys herself, expertly places just the right amount of love and support in the the mother's character in the story. You hear the mom urging her son along, as he gradually takes his life back from the nuts.

There is a comical tone in much of the book and my 6 year old didn't hesitate to chuckle throughout. My 4 year old loved the animal pictures and my 3 year old was totally in tune with the boy's feelings, as he had recently had an allergic reaction to skin cream. "The Day I Met THE NUTS" is a fun read and an inspiring tale. It captures the true essence of childhood emotion. To find out more about the book or order copies, visit http://www.earthdaypublishing.com/.


No comments: