Monday, September 20, 2010

Never Too Young to Learn

My back was against the wall this weekend. I faced eight loads of clean, unfolded laundry. My husband and I chatted over a few loads on Friday night (I guess you could call it date night -in) and we left 3 sorted piles for our three, five and six- year- old children to tackle the next morning. When Saturday came, it was clear and sunny. I knew that I could not spend hours sorting and folding the other 5 baskets of laundry by myself. My husband had some lame excuse about going to work. So I called the kids to come put their clothes in their dressers and then began to dread the task ahead. While handing the kids their clothes, the light bulb came on.

After they had finished with the already folded clothes, I grabbed a full basket of unfolded, unsorted clothing and dumped the whole thing onto our queen size bed. Next I told the kids to come pick out their own clothes and then fold them up and put them away. Each one made a pile of their things while helping me pull out mine and their dad's. They thought it was fun and it took all of 5 minutes to do one basket. At their ages the clothes were not folded well. But that's okay because we always iron. Together, we did the next 4 baskets in record time; including putting the clothes away. I praised those kids all day long and they beamed with pride. Since they are already familiar with sorting and loading the washer, I think I'm ready to make this a routine.

How old were you when you learned to do laundry? At what age will you teach your children this skill?
Peace and blessings,
Polly

No comments: