Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A Season for Sacrifice


I am observing Lent again this year and began my quest on Ash Wednesday to take this special time of year to recommit to keeping my temple clean and drawing even nearer to God.  I am happy and excited about this period of self-sacrifice and am pleased that my husband has joined me this year.

I had attempted to 'give up' something in years past...maybe in my mid twenties, but always seemed to fail at the task.  Most times it was chocolate or something along those lines and every time I failed.  Back then, it was me giving up something just to give it up and had nothing to do with the true reason for Lent.  I did not fast and pray or ask God to guide me.  Now that I am in my mid thirties, I am happy to say that something has happened in my life, sort of like a switch going off or a turning point.  Whatever happened I am a much more spiritual person, one who knows without a doubt where my help and strength come from and one striving everyday to be more and more like Christ. This is the reason that I am committed to observing Lent and committed to staying the course.  Jesus made the supreme sacrifice for me by dying on the cross and before that he wandered in the wilderness for 40 days without food.  He was tempted by Satan at every turn, but he held fast and relied on the Scripture to keep him near to God.  This is what I do when temptations arise.  I hold fast to God and instead of reaching for a steak or chicken breast (smile), I reach for the word.  It fills me up and keeps me whole.  It motivates me to trust in God and continue to watch and pray.  It gives me great peace.

My husband joined to support me this year, as I joined last year to support my sister.  I pray that each one of us observing the season can motivate others to do the same.  This is what God loves and we will be blessed beyond reason during this season and always.

Continued Blessings,

Meek

No comments: