Thursday, April 23, 2009

Like Mother, Like Daughter

Today (now yesterday since I posted this late) would have been our mother’s 53rd birthday had she survived her battle against breast cancer. She is the one who taught me to protect my sister at all costs. I will never forget that day at the playground. We were visiting relatives and were sent to play at the park that was adjacent to the house. A few of the neighborhood girls did not like the fact that we were outsiders playing in ‘their park’. They begin to bully us, demanding that we leave. My sister, normally the quiet one, continued to play until one of the girls approached her closely as if she wanted to start a fist fight. Well, knowing my sister the way I did, I did NOT want her to unleash that fierce tiger within. She was always so quiet and never fought unless backed into a corner. Once she was in that corner, she always came out victorious every single time. I disliked seeing her pushed to that point because I felt it was something she did not want to have to do. I always felt my sister was a sensitive being, always trying to be peaceful and avoiding discord. I jumped from the jungle gym and ran to get our mother, telling her that some girls were at the park bullying us and now Polly was about to fight one of them. My mother looked at me in bewilderment, grabbed me by my arm, looked me straight in the eyes and said ‘You don’t ever leave your sister!’ She gave me one push toward the door and I understood exactly what it meant. I was to report back to that playground immediately and stand beside my sister for whatever was to come. And that is exactly what I did! We never had any issues at that park again and that was the day I decided that I was the one who would protect my sister from anyone who tried to push her around.

My mother was a strong, outspoken woman. She did not tolerate much from people and she taught us to be the same way…to demand respect, walk with pride and love and protect each other no matter what. Those very simple lessons have stuck with me throughout childhood and now into adulthood. I am sure she would be so proud of the love and respect Polly and I have for one another. I envision her prancing around heaven, looking down on us and saying ‘those are my babies’. I am certain she is gushing with pride when she see’s how my sister is instilling the same positive values in her children.

When people tell me I am like my mother I smile. Like mother, like daughter in so many ways. Yes…indeed!

No comments: