Monday, July 27, 2009

I Dream of a World

While shuttling my kids to and from camp, I noticed a new hair and beauty supply store open in our area. It took me about a month to stop in, but when I finally did, it was a wonderful surprise. As I was greeted upon entry by the owners (an African-American husband and wife) a broad smile came across my face. They accomplished what seemed impossible in a county boasting one of the largest median household incomes in the U.S. but with an African-American population of just 9% .

What a welcome change. I've been a Sally Beauty supply shopper for 20 years or more. Like many I grew up with local wig stores and ethnic hair goods provided by everyone except the main customer base. So when I stepped into that store I knew I had to patronize, no matter what. I'm well aware of who makes the bulk of the products that most of us buy for our hair and beauty. Still, I dream of a world where more African-American products and businesses are thriving along with the rest of America. I'm ready to shed the image of the shameful, defeated, poor race who "also lives" in this great country.

Polly&Meek products are purchased by people of all cultures. In fact, Meek and I have had the pleasure of watching a group of non-African-American girls grin and giggle over seeing themselves in our book, Sisters Are From Heaven; even though it only contains images of my daughters. But there are more of us out there ---black business owners striving to bring you wonderful products that meet your needs and those of the community. Do us all a favor by patronizing our new and established businesses. Everyone will benefit.

I dream of such a world.

No comments: