Monday, July 6, 2009

Sharing Love With Everyone!



Did you have a happy 4th of July? We certainly did!

We kicked off on Friday with a cook out at my sister and brother-in-law's home in Northern Va. Our father had come into town and we made it a family event when my husband, step-daughter and I came over to add in to the fun. We enjoyed ourselves with burgers, hotdogs, sausage dogs, chips and strawberry Kool-aid. Of course my brother-in-law made the most delicious peach smoothie concoction (virgin for me of course) and I made some cole slaw to top my hotdog with, yummy! It was all so delish.

The highlight of my day had to be seeing all the kids embrace my step-daughter and play with her as if they have known her for years and years. I am sure they are too young to remember meeting her about 3 years ago. As a matter of fact, I think this was the youngest one’s first time meeting her. Nonetheless, they went upstairs to play with toys and after a while it got very quiet. I went up to check on them and they were all the way upstairs. I asked what they were doing up there and they came out to report that they were ‘taking Big Sister on a tour of their rooms’. Okay I said and went back downstairs. A bit later, my youngest niece came down to show me money form the cash register that ‘Big Sister’ had given to her. I thought it was so very cute how they had given her a pet name immediately and embraced her to so quickly.
After eating, we went outside for water gun play. The simple things can fill a child with such glee. I think my sister has perfected the skill of showing her children that they can be fully entertained by the simple things in life. No one could tell them that they were not having the time of their lives out there running back and forth wetting each other with the guns. I sat on the steps, innocently taking photos, only to be sprayed down a few times. But my sister a.k.a Cleopatra Jones came out in full force with two small water pistols blazing, fighting them off left and right. She got quite the work out herself running behind those kids the way she was. After that it was time for red light, green light and I was immediately taken back to my childhood. Watching Lainey freeze had me rolling on the ground.

At the end of the evening we all exchanged hugs and kisses as my family and I headed back home. Even my boy Ox gave me big sugar and asked when I was coming back. I told him soon and I cannot wait to see them all again!

No comments: