Monday, July 6, 2009

Train Up A Child

Yesterday my children were complaining about going to church. I totally understand their perspective because I didn't always like going when I was a child. But I had to tell them that they are lucky. My sister, cousins and I had to go to church ALL the time. We never even skipped a Sunday. That meant getting up extra early because Sunday school started at 9:45am and church wasn't out until 1pm. Then sometimes there was something special going on and we'd have to go back to church right after eating Sunday dinner. That was particularly upsetting, though I tried to keep it in. We were always involved in some aspect of worship and when we grew older we sung on the youth choir, participated in pageants, held offices in Sunday school, read scriptures and annoucements, performed, recited and represented our church --- everywhere.

Our family was raised in the church and they drilled it in our heads so that when we were older, try as we may, there was no hiding from God. I can't say that everything we did was completely necessary but, we built lots of other skills from those activities. Getting to know God and developing a personal relationship with him was the ultimate bonus added to tons of positive benefits we received from our attendance. But I know it's tough for little ones under five years old. I'm taking it easy on them, while still setting a routine. I don't care how much they resist right now. It's my job to make sure they learn about God so I ignore their complaints. My hope is that even if they do part from their training when they grow up, it will only be for a short while.

Along with attending church, at home we read the bible for story time, discuss all religious holidays at length and occassionally watch christain DVDs. Veggie Tales are some of their favorites. I'm now on the lookout for some children's bibles with illustrations to help further engage their little minds. Sounds like alot, but God is mixed in among other topics they enjoy. I pray for them a long, fruitful life filled with servitude, the love of God and his many blessings.

No comments: