Monday, January 25, 2010

Leisure Time

I'm reading an article from yesterday's The Washington Post Magazine which suggests that people, specifically mothers, have more leisure time than we know. The article is called the Test of Time. Instead of finishing the article, I decided to stop pretending I had said leisure time and get to work since it gave me a good topic to discuss on today's blog.

When I first began reading, I was skeptical. How could anyone have 30 to 40 hours of available down time per week? But once I realized the data was based on time studies then I knew it was entirely possible. As it is, many of us don't even realize how we spend the bulk of our time, let alone know how many leisure hours we have. I believe this is true because I worked as an industrial engineer for several years performing these types of studies. There'd be these whole departments of people working everyday on the same issues. Since they did the job daily they thought they knew for sure where their time went. Surprisingly they did not.The results were nothing short of fascinating. I've thought once or twice to perform a study on myself, then gave up saying, "I don't have time."


That's one main point of the article. We have the time if only we'd take it. There are some who even revel in the helter-skleter flow of our busy lives. Even if this daily hustle isn't the way we want to live, we go on with it anyhow and then complain. Sort of like a badge of honor. Well, I for one am tired of the complaints. All in favor of leisure time everyday raise your hand. Or better yet, just take take a stroll around the neighborhood when the mood stirkes. The other stuff can wait.
Many Blessings,
Polly

No comments: