Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Natural Beauty

As soon as the snow began to fall I snatched up an article I had been saving and told the kids, "We're going to look at these!" I waved the paper around in my hand excitedly until they all screamed, "What? What is it, Mommy?"

"Snowflakes!" I yelled as I grabbed the magnifying glass. They could hardly wait. I explained the article to them and talked about Kenneth G. Libbrecht's work at http://www.snowcrystals.com/. While we could go to the site and look at beautiful pictures like the one seen here, the newspaper had encouraged us to go out and see for ourselves. That's when I realized I'd never actually seen a real snowflake. I had simply believed what my teachers said about their shapes and how no two are alike. For 30 years I believed without ever seeking real evidence. Well no more!

Quick as a whip, we put on our snowgear and went out for some sledding and research. At first the flakes were hard to see. We'd missed the large ones which came down first and were now surrounded by ones much smaller. But, once we all became calm and really focused, what came into view was breathtaking! There they were, just falling like heavenly dust. Everywhere, with no one questioning what it was. All this time we'd been missing the total phenomenom of snow by looking solely at the whole event instead of at its parts. Each snowflake floating gently to rest upon the Earth's surface was a miracle in itself. I was a little embarrassed as I "ooo-ed" and "ahh-ed" with the kids. Then fascination took over and I soon assimilated. Every single speck was perfectly designed. Utterly magnificent! At the moment of revelation I whispered,"God you are amazing."

As you've probably guessed, there is a scientific explanation. It comes via physics, one of my favorite subjects. Hop on over to Mr. Libbrecht's website for the details. But if you're lucky snow may be softly falling outside your window right this instant. See if you can catch a bit of natural beauty in the palm of your hand. Scrutinize it. You'll become a believer.

Happy hunting,

Polly

No comments: