Tuesday, March 23, 2010

2010 Census

I've been hearing about the 2010 Census for some time now and finally got our packet in the mail. I immediately tore it open, reading through the letter enclosed and looking over all the questions that were on the list. I remember completing the census before, but did not take it seriously or really understand why I was completing it. Years later, I understand the importance and will fill in our information promptly and return it.

If you have not had a chance to read up on the 2010 Census and/or you are questioning why you should fill out your information, here are a few points to keep in mind:

  • The results of the census help determine how many seats your state occupies in the U.S House of Representatives,
  • Results help determine how much monies are spent on things like hospitals, schools, training centers, senior centers and public work infrastructures in your area, and
  • The US Census can be used as a useful tool for geneology searches.
I for one have used the Census to research both my and my husband's family. It is absolutely GREAT for that. I was able to pull census reports from as far back and the 1890's and glean information about my family and his including names, ages and job titles. It is a small snapshot in time that is priceless.
I cannot wait for my little one to do her own research years from now and see how times have changed. We have come a long way as a people. Its most interesting for me to see the job title's change from Laborer, farm hand, seamstress, homemaker, maid to Engineer, Highway Constructor, Lab Technician, Doctor, Nurse, President of the United States of America.

We have come a mighty long way. Make sure you complete your Census packet and return it. It is not only important, it is mandatory. The benefits of completing will be felt for years to come.

Continued Blessings,

Meek

No comments: