Monday, March 29, 2010

Planning Summer Camps

It's that time of year again. Registration for local summer camps will be opening soon and I'm on a mission! This is just my second year of planning camp for my bunch but I'm keeping in mind a few things to make sure we're on route to another smooth summer.

To get it just right, I involve the kids in the camp selection. We'll sit down and hash out where their interests lie. This step is key because I've learned from others that there's no faster way to cause failure than to stick them with somethimg they have no interest in at all. Even the youngest kids have likes and dislikes, so I give their input some value. As parents, we'll still have to consider things like schedules, money and location. But if we give the child options such as first, second and third choice we'll be on target for a great summer experience.

There looks like some exciting topics this year and I can't wait to see who chooses what. We never have enough funds to cover all 10 weeks of summer for all 3 children, but a few weeks spread out across the months will give me piece of mind while leaving plenty of flexibility for a trip to the beach!

Have you started planning your children's summer activities yet? Which programs do they enjoy?

No comments: