Monday, April 26, 2010

What's for Breakfast

As I looked for my oldest this morining, I wondered where she was and how she could be so quiet. When I finally got downstairs I found her. She had gotten herself some bread and was putting it into the toaster. She looked over her shoulder saying, "I thought I should try it myself." I said, "I was hoping you would." We had just practiced yesterday. In my whole craze over education and higher level thinking for my children, I nearly missed the window for teaching them to function on their own. But the wonderful thing about kids is that they are constantly seeking independence ---no matter how thorough you are as a parent.

For us, it began several months ago with them wanting to fix their own juice. At first, I was mad because I didn't know what was going on until it was done and there was a mess to clean up. However, I quickly realized that learning to do these things were just as exciting for them, if not more so, than education. I backed down and even moved their cups and bowls to where they could reach them easily. Their overwhelming desire to do things themselves rubbed off on me.


So I took the ball and ran with it. Like the Obamas, we implemented an alarm clock at 4 years old with both girls. Our kids are old hat at making up their beds, as well as brushing teeth and washing faces. Next we set our sights on learning to work the shower. Folding a basket of laundry and putting away clothes appears to be fun for them right now. Let's see how long it lasts. Completing these tasks requires patience and understanding, but to do it without tears is my always my goal. I'm looking forward to breakfast in the morning.


Many blessings,
Polly

No comments: