Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Angels in Training

When I hear that bell ringing as I approach retail stores, I know it's Christmas time. And the bell? Well, the bell tolls for me. It is a joyous little reminder that I'm blessed enough to bless others. I give to charities throughout the year, but at Christmas I dig deeper. Food, heating and clothing maybe harder to come by for those in need. I take an angel off the tree, participate in toys for tots, or contribute to holiday baskets. It's any means necessary to share the magic of the season and the love of Jesus Christ.

This year my children and I chose a day to go out and pick from an Angel Tree in a local store. I encouraged the kids to have a good time shopping for children who didn't have much. So they did! To my amazement, they stayed on task and only strayed one time to ask for a box of candy canes. Even though the total lesson may have gone over their heads, I pray they'll learn to be angels throughout life. An early push in the right direction won't hurt.

Visit The Salvation Army's website to explore online options for giving. Come on and be an angel in training!

Merry Christmas,
Polly

No comments: