Monday, May 23, 2011

Au Natural

I took a chance and ventured out to Walmart on the absolute worse day and at the absolute worse time. To compound matters, I had my 21 month old with me and she was a bit restless. I went in to look at rugs because I had purchased one for my front door entrance, but it was not large enough. I decided I needed a runner to cover the space I wanted to cover. I lucked out and found a nice pattern for a reasonable price. On to picking up more hangers so we can keep our clothing off the bed and hung in the closet. Next over to pick up deoderant for my son and some other items for me.

Just as I was focused in on the Old Spice Fresh deoderant I heard a lovely voice say 'Your hair is beautiful'! I thought of my twist out style and stopped my cart and smiled at two young natural beauties. We struck up a conversation about my hair routine and gave each other tips and inspiration. Questions like 'what products do you use, how long did it take you to get the length, how did you achieve this style' were bounced around. I gave up all the details. One young lady wanted to touch my hair and I happily obliged. Shoppers were looking at us wondering what all the lively conversation at the end of the aisle was all about. Our conversation drew the attention of another natural beauty who begin to smile from afar as she realized what was happening and stopped to give her take on everything. She told us about her experience, her children's reaction to her big chop from waist long,permed hair to a teeny-weeny afro. She gave us tips and styles and spoke of the Jamaican hair style that is similar to the bantu knots we use here in the states. I loved every second of it. My little one enjoyed it too, playing with the Jamaican natural beauty's children and chiming in every now and again. The two young, natural beauties said they needed this talk and it was so awesome that it happened right there in Walmart whilst they were there for a hair emergency.

At the end of it all, I walked away very happy to have come to Walmart on that day and at that time...when the world was supposed to be coming to an end. I made meaningful connections with sisters who needed it at that moment. This is the start of something more beautiful than I could have ever imagined!

Peace & Blessings,

Meek

Photo compliments of www.celebhairstyle.net

No comments: