Monday, May 16, 2011

When Geese Attack!


Aw! Look at the cute little goslings out for a morning walk with Ma and Pa. So little, so fuzzy, so precious. Awww.

After school was out we loaded our pockets with bread, grabbed the camera and rushed down to the pond. At first we couldn't see the geese anywhere, then just as we were about to go my oldest spotted them. So the kids tiptoed closer so they could feed the family and, you know, take part in nature. I stayed put to let them enjoy themselves until I noticed them getting  a little too close. 

The mama goose began shuffling her babies away.  My own maternal instinct kicked in, and I called for the children to come back to me. Several times I called them and they ignored me, too enamored by the goslings to heed. Finally I hollered again and the kids decided to turn and go. Just as they were leaving the Daddy goose got fed up with this triple threat to his babies. He stretched his huge wings and raised up in the air to a height just above the kids' heads. My babies tried to run for it. But it was no use. They screamed and shrieked in terror but that goose just kept coming -- intent on giving them a flogging! (I can't even type for laughing so hard!) I could only watch in horror and humor as they fled. Daddy goose got the oldest one and gave her a good flapping. Then he settled on the ground and calmly walked off with his family. In all of it my middle child lost her shoe and I had to send her baby brother back into goose territory to retrieve it. I was laughing but terrified and there was no way I was going after that shoe! Thankfully my 4 year old saved the day. We all ran away from the pond quickly, some in tears, some chattering excitedly. Oh, and the child who according to Daddy goose, deserved and provoked the whole attack? Well she was thrilled that she'd have new material to write about and share at school. Like mother like daughter I suppose.

No comments: