Monday, June 7, 2010

The Lottery

Each week at my day job, a group of my employees play the lottery. It started out as a small group and has quickly expanded to 20 of the 35 employees at my site. I am one of the players...every week putting my $1 or $2 into the pot in hopes of winning the 'big pot'. The most we have won so far is $16. But still I play.
Sometimes I tell myself that I am not going to participate because a dollar or two a week adds up. Thats $4-$8 a month and $48 to $96 a year! But once they start collecting, I feel compelled. What if this is the one and I don't put my $1 in. Its not going to break me. That's what I say as I dive into my purse and scrounge up coins if needed to enter the pool.
It was weighing on me a bit and I was chatting with a co-worker about it. I told her, I need to win so that I can bless some people. She said 'well Amen to that'. Then we started up a conversation about helping others and we both understand that is what we are supposed to do. Its not worth having if we cannot bless others. Of course I want to spend and make my family comfortable, but I don't think I could ever be happy hoarding a large sum of money while others barely get by. Still, as the weeks went by and we did not win anything, I thought maybe this was the wrong path and I should just stop altogether.

I was visiting Proverbs 31 Devotions and low and behold there was a blog on the lottery. The blogger was one in a group who would pool their money and buy lottery tickets, just like my group of co-workers do. She said one day she did not have the $5 that they were collecting and did not play and that was the day 13 employees won $33 million dollars! She went on to say how she was bitter and jealous, much as I KNEW I would be if my co-workers won the big pot on a day I did not give my $1. Her blog brought her to a different outcome than the one I arrived at...keep playing because it can happen.

I truly believe that it is my calling to help others and that I will be a blessing to people that need it the most. I know its not always financial, but I think that is the way "I" am supposed to bless people. I pray each night that God leads and guides me to my calling and that I am ready and willing to hear and obey Him when He does.

So, what is your calling?

Many Blessings,

Meek

No comments: