Monday, June 14, 2010

Praise for Praise Kids

Last week I was listening to a debate on the radio about whether children's church should be mandatory or not. I immediately thought about what a blessing this fairly new idea has been to my family. If you're not familiar, children's church is a lot like Sunday school but it happens during the regular service. It's called "Praise Kids" at our church.
When we arrive on Sundays the first thing we do is check all three of our children into their classrooms. The two smaller ones go to one class and the oldest goes to another. There the children are taught about God on their level. This is done through crafts, music and short movies and activities that pertain to the Bible. Snacks are even provided in the lower level class. Kids in the higher level class are given "church bucks" that they earn through take home exercises and class participation. On the first Sunday, the Praise Kids store opens and they can shop for fun items.
Sometimes I volunteer at children's church because there can be lots of children and if there are any teachers out sick, the rest of the staff will need help. It's the best way for me to serve right now, while my children are still small. However, on most Sundays, I go back to the sanctuary where I can enjoy the service in peace. It's amazing how much better I can hear from God without my little ones taking my attention as I try to keep them quiet and under control.
But the best part of the program? The best part of this is that the children are really learning! The format of teaching is so engaging and fun that the kids can't help but enjoy themselves. They talk more about the lessons of the bible and can't wait to go to church every Sunday. Even when we're at home they listen to the bible stories more intently and try hard to apply the lessons. This new attitude is definitely because of Sunday morning worship and I'm so happy to leave the dread about going to church behind. Now my children embrace God's message with open arms; for that I am grateful.
Three cheers for Praise Kids!
Many blessings,
Polly

No comments: