Sunday, August 30, 2009

Brothers Are From Heaven, Too!


Brothers Are From Heaven, Too!

Not only is this the title for our third book, but I saw it in action the other day.

I was sitting in my kitchen looking out the front window, holding my bundle of joy. My two little neighbors, Lucas and Mathias were outside like normal playing. Mind you, Lucas is 4 and Mathias is 2 but they come out quite often to 'hang' with the adults outside. There is no stopping them. If they see you outside, they are coming over. Period.

Today, Lucas was on his scooter and Mathias on his bike with training wheels. My husband and a couple of his friends were on the stoop out front winding down from a hard days work. The boys ventured over. Little Mathias was having problems with his bike, so one of my husband's friends, and also our neighbor, called him over and then began to doctor on his bike. He worked on it while Mathias came up and sat down on the stoop beside my husband. Lucas stayed close by watching. Once the bike was fixed, Mathias was called from the stoop to retrieve it. He hopped on and sure enough he was back in stride. The boys began to ride the bikes toward the curb. Lucas, the older boy, knew how to bounce up so his scooter cleared the curb and he was on the sidewalk, but Mathias had not mastered the skill. I watched attentively. Lucas looked back to see that his brother was having trouble, jumped off his scooter without hesitation and ran back toward him. He grabbed the front of the bike and hoisted it up with all of his strength, pulling little Mathias up and onto the sidewalk. My heart was in my throat watching the brothers work together and seeing Lucas help his brother before he ever asked.

Yes, Brothers Are From Heaven, Too...yes indeed.

No comments: