Wednesday, August 26, 2009

What is Vacation?



Last week my family in I took our first vacation together. Doing the math, that means 6 full years since I had been on hiatus from the daily grind of mother, housekeeper, wife, teacher and cook. Well I still had to be two out of five, but my husband got to spend more time being a Dad and husband and less time as an Exec turn weekend handyman. He needed a break too. Our downtime was all right and done right. In other words it was a real vacation.

I admit, before last week's getaway we traveled every year and sometimes twice in a year to visit family in one state or another. But that's just it--- although we left home for extended periods of time, we weren't really on vacation. I didn't even realize this was the case until I complained to one of my friends about how we go visit our loved ones, but somehow I don't come home feeling refreshed. My friend kindly broke it down for me. Turns out, a real vacation is when you go someplace and you don't have to cook, or clean and you can come and go freely.

She was so right! Even though we have loads of fun and enjoy our family visits--- there's no substitute for complete down time. That means seeing the attractions near whatever spot you select and not going out to do anything if you don't want to go. Also included is not driving all over town to see all the relatives you can and apologizing if you want to cut out on family with whom you're currently staying.

As life would have it, even the kids noticed the difference and began using the word "vacation." We had never actually called any of our previous family visits that and somehow they picked up on it. This time none of us were stressed because there was no real schedule or time table to which we had to adhere. It left time for playing until we were just exhausted, lounging because we had to have a break from all the fun at some point, eating whatever yummy dessert we could find and sleeping whenever we felt like taking a nap.

The escape was well worth it. I feel refreshed, replenished and renewed. Those are three R's that should serve me well as September swings into motion. I do believe I am up to the challenge!

Did you take a vacation this summer? Drop a line and let us know what you did.

Love to you and yours,


Polly

No comments: