Thursday, August 13, 2009

A Giving Heart

Sometimes I sit an marvel at how different my life is now, compared to when I was growing up. God blessed me to have a bit more now than what my family had when I was a girl. There are plenty who could probably testify on this same topic, so I know I'm not alone. But as I'm thinking of what I have (and as I tell my children often) there are so many people in the world with much less.

There are several reasons that wealth and even the necessities of life evade the masses, try as they may to change their situation. But instead of looking down my nose and saying why don't they work hard like me, I tell my kids that God wants us to share. He wants us to realize how he's blessed us and made a way for us and then be able to give a blessing to someone else. Someone may be in need of something we already have.

Right about now, folks will start to grumble a little because they tithe on a regular basis. But giving to someone else isn't always monetary. There is so much more that people need than just money. It's been proven, that even when it seems that money is the answer to everything, it hardly scratches the surface of what's really wrong in the world.

So when the next opporunity presents itself, try listening to someone who is depressed, or frustrated and thinks their life is meaningless. I mean seriously, give them the benefit of your ear. Forget about tax dollars and who should pay for what. Donate or give new books or school supplies to students in need. Remember to volunteer your time toward community development. And always, always--- pass on a cheerful word about God. There are still some who don't know him.

A warm and giving heart may not change the whole world, but it could change the world for one person.

No comments: