Wednesday, June 3, 2009

He Speaks To Me

The lightning and thunder crash all around us and the children are rightfully shaken. It's 9:15pm and they are still unable to sleep amist what must be a raging storm to their young ears. But it is mild. I remember being just as afraid when I was a little girl. Seems like the storm would almost always knock the power out. Even if it didn't, Mama would quiet us down and turn off all electric appliances, especially the TV. We weren't allowed to move a muscle. "The Lord is talking," she'd say. It was disrespectful to be doing anything. Over time it was the sound of His voice, not Mama's, that made everyone in our house stop everything and just listen.

As I sit tonight, with a sermon going on outside, I feel like I'm caught between two worlds. Physically, I'm in between the girls' room and Orion's so that they all can see me and feel comfortable enough to fall asleep. In one ear the solo flute lulls and in the other Miles Davis' trumpet wails. Both are equally beautiful. But better still is the sound of nature. God is talking. Telling me I am right where I should be. And I am listening for his instructions.

What I hear: Stay the course. Do not be swayed by easy or fast money. Finish what I told you to do. Wait and pray. Praise and uplift me. Write about my love. Stay available to your family. Keep my word in your heart.

What I say: Here I am Lord, ready to do your will. Please give me the words and guide my hands. All praises belong to you.

No comments: