Thursday, June 11, 2009

A Return to Reading

Expanding on Polly’s previous post…I can recall the hot, humid days of summer in NC. We grew up most of our lives in a house without A/C so the summers were especially hot. Somehow that doesn’t phase a child much because I can recall being outside most of the day, even when the sun was high in the sky. My sister and I would often times escape to the cool comfort of our public library and be in there all day reading various books and playing on the computer.

I am sure Polly recalls my addiction to Sweet Valley High books. There was nothing I would not do to get my hot little hands on those sequel books and I once I got one, I would read and read and read. I remember one day my grandmother got fed up with how much I was reading and told me to put the book down and go outside and get some air. I knew then, as I know now, that it was not that she did not support my willingness and passion to read, she just wanted me to do something other than JUST read. As the years progressed and I went off to college and reading became less and less fun. Who wanted to read about Organic Chemistry, Physics and other forced readings in English Literature? Argggh!!! I quickly built an aversion to the whole daggone thing. There was simply no time for leisure reading for enjoyment, now it was forced readings. When I graduated I shunned all books and literature altogether. I would think of the headboard in my mother’s room where she stored book, after book, after book and cringe in disbelief at how much she used to read. Its laughable now, but college ruined me…only for a minute though. Reading was in my blood (something I know I got from my mother) as was journeling and writing poetry (she loved to do that too). After my mother’s passing, I slowly began to get back into reading for pleasure. I have to admit I do not read as much as I’d like to, but I am getting there. Most of the time I am reading some article so as to stay abreast of what is happening around me.

Now, I look forward to reading to my little one. I will sit and read to her in utero and each night before bed. Reading is fundamental, educational and enlightening…on top of that its fun. I want my children to embrace that and I plan to start them out early.

No comments: