Monday, June 8, 2009

Summer Reading

As the temperature continues to rise and summer prepares for a long awaited return, I drift off into dreamland. Smoky smells from seared hot dogs, beefy burgers and twice marinated ribs waft into my nose. I let out a long, slow sigh while imagining the afternoon backporth barbeques to come. All the sweet sunshine tea I can drink and thoughts of me with a full belly, plopping to a comfy hammock; my latest good read clutched tightly.

Not much satisfies like a good book. Even though I've waited until adulthood to discover this--- better late than never. Reading is that much sweeter now that I'm free to select what I want to read and not be pressured to get a good grade upon completion. I have the pleasure to peruse the holdings of the public library, view the bestseller lists and look for all sorts of exciting works by which to become enthralled. My preschoolers fuel this, and it seems they have a natural affinity for storytelling. As a children's writer any of the the books my kids select become instant research for our writing business. Which brings me to another point. No one says summer reading should only consist of novels and other fiction works. There are tons of good marketing, business and networking guides that may not read like a novel, but can still be a page-turner when the bottom line is at stake.

So whatever book you decide to cuddle up with, take time to enjoy it. Sir Richard Steele put it best, "Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body." Pump up those brain muscles this summer!

No comments: